Looking for some Alpha Testers

This board is for the discussion of Anime, Macross or the Macross RPG Community in general. All discussions on this board are out of character. Please remember that the MRC has a very strict Non-Flaming, Non-Advertising, and Non-Spamming policy.

Moderator: Shared Resources Group

Webmaster (F)

Looking for some Alpha Testers

Postby Lanji » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:36 am

Hiya everyone,

I'm looking for a few interested Alpha Testers for a project that may (or may not) change some of the long range plans of both this site and its two sister sites (that really haven't been worked on in ages!)

For a while now I've been thinking of making a shift in my theories in message board forums, and the technology used by our community.

As many of us can tell by now, we've kind of been slipping out of just Macross Gaming for a few years now. Sometimes the Fantasy and Sci-fi gaming at the bottom of the forums is busier then the Macross Gaming happening at the top. The original plan was to eventually move all of the gaming outside of Macross to its own board systems on different domains.

Today, in a fit of inspiration (or unfocused testing), I installed a combination of Wordpress + Buddypress (a social plugin for WP) + bbpress at http://dragonegg.com/.

I'm hoping a few members of the MRC, hopefully all of you in a Fantasy Campaign right now, take a few minutes to visit the new site and see what you think.

Please feel free to make an account (using the same username as your MRC one please) and poke around a little. Leave a little feedback on the General Forum if you would please.

Then come on back here to the MRC and let me know what you think!

Game Master

Postby BEAR » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 am

How do we create an account, my man?

[ B E A R ]
I used to be a King;
now I drag my Throne

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:16 am

Figures I would forget the one checkbox you must have enabled to create accounts. Its clicked now, but try: http://dragonegg.com/register/

That should help quite a bit!!! Thanks for mentioning that Bear, and keep the ideas, changes, or "this isn't going to work" comments coming.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:00 am

got account created without problem. Updated profile with ease...

So far, it seems very well integrated. The presence of "forums" seems to be kind of downplayed (probably because it's really just an add-on). If you could push the forum-list toward the front-page, or perhaps some kind of setting (Favorites?)...

I think it'd suffice for our purposes... Do you think it can support ARCTech?

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Yes and no. I think it can support the Development API we worked out for playing on Wave actually. If we keep it as an API, and just work out the details of a WordPress plugin (which is the kind of programming I'm doing at work alot right now) I think it might actually work better right now.

Still thinking it through though.

Game Master

Postby Cobalt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:37 pm

I am on the board now. =)
~Let the Beauty Sleep

Group Leader

Postby inix88 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Are you going to keep the MRC going? *concerned*

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:17 am

Inix, there will be an MRC, though it may change shape, if this turns out to be functionally acceptable.

For now, though, we're just looking at it to see if we can use it and for what that would be.

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Xuric's hit the nail on the head inix88. Its been years since I've managed to successfully program anything in phpBB, and with all of the new cool stuff out there I wanted to see if there was some technology that could function as a replacement for phpBB boards.

The MRC isn't going away, and its most likely not going to move from the phpBB forum system, but that is one option that I think should be kept just in case something really cool, and really functional comes along in the future.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Lanji wrote:just in case something really cool, and really functional comes along in the future.

*cough*WAVE*cough*

... 'scuse me, I seem to have caught something... ;)

Assistant Game Master (SM)

Postby Flare™ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:32 am

Hmmm...

*slinks off to lurk again*
*Founding Member and President of the Klan Klein/Klan Klan Fan Club*

I take pics! See them on Instagram @JPhillipePhotos

Power Member

Postby Nekopawed » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Xuric wrote:
Lanji wrote:just in case something really cool, and really functional comes along in the future.

*cough*WAVE*cough*

... 'scuse me, I seem to have caught something... ;)

I've noticed that Google Wave has a problem of building latency the longer it is used in a group environment personally. Especially when multiple people are typing and each thread of the wave is live broadcasting.

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:01 am

Nekopawed wrote:I've noticed that Google Wave has a problem of building latency the longer it is used in a group environment personally. Especially when multiple people are typing and each thread of the wave is live broadcasting.

you're not wrong. I really wanted wave to be the answer, but as-is, it's too bulky to do us any good. As the wave gets longer, the browser begins to lag and it's just downhill from there.

-but I digress..

Should we start a faux game of some flavor upon the dragon eggs?

Flight Leader

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Xuric wrote:
Nekopawed wrote:I've noticed that Google Wave has a problem of building latency the longer it is used in a group environment personally. Especially when multiple people are typing and each thread of the wave is live broadcasting.

you're not wrong. I really wanted wave to be the answer, but as-is, it's too bulky to do us any good. As the wave gets longer, the browser begins to lag and it's just downhill from there.

-but I digress..

Should we start a faux game of some flavor upon the dragon eggs?

MURDER MYSTERY PATRY 2010!
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing." - Optimus Prime

Web Managers Group

Postby Xuric » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:39 am

Sparky wrote:MURDER MYSTERY PATRY 2010!

got dibs on Professor Plum! :D

Webmaster (F)

Postby Lanji » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:44 pm

http://dragonegg.com/groups/general-dis ... -2010-a-e/

Post your test characters at the above location!

Xuric has dibs on Professor Plum.... :)

Assistant Game Master (SM)

Postby Flare™ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:13 am

:O Not fair! lol
*Founding Member and President of the Klan Klein/Klan Klan Fan Club*

I take pics! See them on Instagram @JPhillipePhotos

Return to General Discussion